Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Explorers!

We've been having a great time learning all about the Vikings, Christopher Columbus, parts of a ship, map-making and globes, continents, landforms, and many other explorers. Most of our papers will go in a lapbook, which I'll post when it's done.

We still have so much more to do: Lewis and Clark, the Spanish Conquistadors and I'm hoping to finish up with the pilgrims around Thanksgiving. (I know, I know, they weren't exactly explorers, but they did sail in ships to a new land.) I'd also love any book suggestions for a historical fiction about sailing and exploring that the boys might enjoy reading. I'm also looking for a model boat (not too complicated) but haven't found any great ones yet.

These pictures are water color paintings the boys did of a sunset on the ocean. For the water, we painted a paper with blues, then tore it into strips and glued it onto the sunset paper. The ship, of course, is just a simple printout that they colored and glued on. There is a small white tab attached to the ship so it will sail across the sea when you pull it.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Those pictures are really good! Your boys are going to be good artists like their dad!

Donna said...

They look awesome!!

Just so you know my blog isn't updating when I post for some reason. Keep checking!!