Tuesday, January 06, 2009

China and the Ghost of Christmas Past

We have decided to learn about China, including Chinese New Year, Chinese numbers, The Great Wall, and Ancient China for homeschool this month.

Today we made 3-d salt dough maps of China, which we will paint and finish tomorrow. I will post pics when they are done. We also started learning to count in Chinese. Nathan had a book called Kid Concoctions, which we are using in our projects. It had the recipe for the dough and we will use another one to make window paint. We are going to attempt to paint Chinese numbers and words on our big sliding glass door! We are all excited and there is so much to cover! The kids can't wait for me to attempt to make fortune cookies. I told them they could think up the fortunes we put inside.

We had a funny experience today. We delivered the paper (The Davis County Clipper) as usual and when we got back Nick was looking at it. And there was a picture of my sister Katie from a couple years ago! She was in "A Christmas Carol" at Rodgers' Memorial Theater, as the Ghost of Christmas Past. Evidently they will be doing that play again this year and printed this picture along with the story! I called and told her (she lives in North Carolina now) and she was excited and surprised. After all, it was two years ago! Anyway, we think it's great. Don't you love the big, blond wig?

1 comment:

Donna said...

That is so fun about China, you have some good ideas to get the kids interested in learning these things. It must be fun to learn these things yourself, too.

It's interesting that they didn't tell her they were using the picture. It's great you stumbled upon it. I love it when my neighbors let me know if I miss something like that with the kids.

Have a Great Day!