Friday, March 13, 2009

Delicious Experiment!

I was fiddling around with one of my favorite, most flexible recipes and came up with a wonderful new idea! They are not too sweet, with just a hint of maple, but enough that they aren't bland. My kids loved them and so did my neighbors!

Maple Muffins

1/2 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp maple flavoring
1 T baking powder
2 cups flour


In a large bowl combine the oil, egg milk, sugar, salt and maple flavoring. Mix well with a whisk. Add flour and baking powder at the same time and stir until moistened. Spoon into greased muffin cups and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a rack. Makes one dozen.

*Because we have nut allergies in our family, I didn't add any nuts but I'm sure they would taste great!

Other additions to the basic muffin recipe:
In stead of maple flavoring, add 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (with raisins if your kids will eat them!)
or 1/2 cup blueberries
or add the cinnamon and one apple, peeled, cored and diced. (my favorite)

I have done this recipe with whole wheat flour and half whole wheat/half white flour. It also works to substitute honey or brown sugar for the white sugar, and apple sauce for the oil.

I saw a recipe for lime coconut muffins the other day...maybe I'll give that a try next! I love to make the muffins, because I can get up and have them in the oven in 10 minutes, then shower while they're baking. I wake up the kids to the aroma of freshly baked breakfast! (It's amazing how quickly the beds are made and kids are dressed with that smell waiting for them downstairs...) :o)

2 comments:

Donna said...

Sounds Yummy! I'll have to give them a try!!

Angie said...

Just tried coconut lime muffins! Fabulous!!!