Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Moon-Shine

No, we are not learning about alcohol brewery in homeschool! We're studying outer space and this is the name my kids have chosen for the newest member of our household: a caterpillar.

Thanks to the glorious arrival of spring, we were outside for several hours today. Nathan found a caterpillar and, of course, had to keep him. This is especially funny if you read my husband's latest 'Dadmocracy' cartoons (el cartoonista link on my side-bar).

So we've spent time today figuring out what kind of leaves he likes to eat and researching what kind of home we'll need to keep him in. Right now he's just in a bucket and I'm crossing my fingers that he doesn't learn how to climb up the walls of it while we're sleeping tonight!

If he survives long enough to enter the chrysalis stage, I'll make a butterfly house and we can keep him for a while. It would be a great science project. Hopefully he's tough and healthy and won't die anytime soon. Unfortunately, our track record with small pets is not very good. Is it possible for animals to die from overexposure to excitable children?

2 comments:

Donna said...

Sounds like fun, good luck. Was he still there this morning??? You'll have to keep us updated!

Angie said...

He's still alive! He eats a ton; by morning he had consumed all the leaves we put in the bucket. They were small, but he really eats faster than I expected. I'm just glad he stayed in the bucket! :o)

Also, this morning, I heard Sadie singing in the bathroom: "Moonshine, oh Moonshine...I love you!"