Sunday, March 01, 2009

Quantum Displacement!?!

"Mom, do you know what quantum displacement is?" my nine-year-old asks.

In my head I'm randomly remembering a TV show called Quantum Leap, but I really have no clue. So I say something like "I'm not quite sure, we'll have to look it up."

"Actually, I just wanted to see if you knew the answer." At this point I'm starting to feel not so brilliant...

He continues, "I already know what it is. Quantum displacement is when all the atoms of an object leap from one location at the speed of light and end up at a new location, with all the atoms exactly in place." He then goes on for another couple of minutes with an example about a gold fish.

So, as a homeschooler, I'm completely baffled. "Where did you learn this?" Quantum physics is definitely not something we've gone over so far, and not something I ever really planned to teach!

His answer, "I read it." He named a book that I've not heard of, something by Frank Asch. So now I'm thinking I really ought to be upping the amount of information I expect him to learn in home-school, but honestly, I'm completely clueless when it comes to this area of science (okay, okay - I'm terrible at most science).

Maybe I ought to just have him apply at the University this year and skip grades 4-12! :o)

P.S. I've just been corrected... It's quantum dislocation, not displacement.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Sounds like that might not be such a bad idea! J/K LOL

Kirt said...

Howz bout we just refer to him as "The Doctor" and get him a sonic screwdriver for Christmas. Sounds like he already has a Tardis in the bathroom! (If you don't understand this, ask Lori to explain.)

Angie said...

Let me guess, dad. It has something to do with "Doctor Who"?

Nick said...

It's from his Journal of a Cardboard Genius books.